You want to make people angry? Tell them their state's signature food sucks. People get punched in the mouth over stuff like that.
But apparently the website Deadspin.com has a death wish . . . they just released a list ranking the signature foods from all 50 states and D.C. And they only picked one food per state . . . just to make people even angrier I guess.
The best signature food in the country is . . . Chicago-style deep dish pizza from Illinois. Here's the rest of the top ten.
2. Shrimp and grits from South Carolina.
3. The mission-style burrito from California . . . which is basically just an enormous burrito with extra rice and other ingredients.
4. Crab cakes from Maryland.
5. Peach cobbler from Georgia.
6. Gumbo from Louisiana.
7. Key Lime pie from Florida.
8. Fried green tomatoes from Alabama.
9. Green chile enchiladas from New Mexico.
10. Marionberry pie from Oregon. Apparently it's like a blackberry pie.
On the other end of the list, Cincinnati chili from Ohio came in DEAD last. The rest of the ten WORST state foods are . . .
2. Steamed cheeseburgers from Connecticut.
3. Nevada . . . because they're the only state with NO signature food.
4. Boiled dinner, New Hampshire. It's sorta like corned beef and cabbage, but with other meats and vegetables too.
5. Akutaq, Alaska. (A-goo-duck) It's a native dish made out of whipped fat, berries, and other optional ingredients . . . including meat, FISH, and roots. How is this not number one?
6. Hand-held meat pies, Nebraska.
7. Salt Water Taffy, New Jersey.
8. Lutefisk, North Dakota.
9. Green Jell-O with carrots, Utah.
10. Chislic, South Dakota . . . which is sorta like a kabob.
(You can see the rankings for all 51 foods here.)